This course is designed for all levels, highlighting the key aspects of negotiations, so suitable for those new to negotiations through to experienced negotiators who want to learn some new tips and skills. It is primarily lecture driven but with the opportunity to utilise the questions, notes facilities as we go through the course.
My approach to negotiation is that there is never a true Win-Win outcome, as that would indicate that both parties have got exactly what they want. The reality is that 'Win-Win' is an impossible end scenario, why? Because one party is always aiming low the other high, a simple example; the buyer wants to buy at the cheapest price and the seller wants to sell at the highest price!
Negotiation is about finding the middle ground and achieving a 'Win-Perceived-Win' scenario, where both parties walk away thinking I've done okay!
It is life, and we must learn to negotiate through it effectively! Oh, and remember it can also be fun!
This course takes you through the most important rules of negotiation:
• Recognise that everything is negotiable.
• The six stages of negotiations
• Why it is important to develop a mental/physical prep planner (where possible, as negotiations can happen at any time)
• Every item you trade has a different value, benefit, and/or cost to one person as it does to another.
• Understanding the mindsets of the person(s) you are negotiating with, what potentially drives their decision making?
• There are many more things (concessions) to trade with than just money.
• Why money is the LAST thing you should trade.
• Understanding why the language of negotiation/trading is critical (keywords to use during discussions)
• How to manage your emotions during negotiations (it is a game, not a threat)